Mainsaver Housekeeping for the New Year
There are many ways to keep your Mainsaver database clean and tidy. The beginning of a new year is good time to do this.
- 1. Check for all open work orders. Query on ‘WO Open Like Y’. Combine this query statement with a date qualifier and then use the mass close function (Work order module, File pulldown menu) to close many work orders at once.
- 2. Check for all open purchase orders. Query on ‘Status Not Like C’. Close purchase orders as appropriate by either receiving or using the close purchase order button.
- 3. Check for purchase orders open but received in full. A nested query such as ‘status like FO and purchase order not in (select pono from pupod where clo_flag = ‘N’)’ works.
- 4. Check for assets not in service that really should be in service. In the Asset module run the Assets out of Service report or perform a query for Asset Status like OS.
- 5. Are there items in ‘special order items awaiting release’ that should be issued out to a work order, asset or cost center. Run the ‘Special order items awaiting release’ report in the Parts Master.
- 6. Make sure employee charge rates are correct and employee status codes are up to date in the Personnel module.
- 7. In the PM module, check for PM master records where the default status of the PM work order will be set to CLO or CNX. If a PM is no longer needed, delete the master record or set the PM status to ‘DEA’. Also, if the asset is deactivated, the PM records can be deleted.
- 8. Check that all of your Mainsaver clients are on the most recent release.
- 9. Have Mainsaver Professional Services come in for a site review and refresher training.
- 10. Has the ‘msadmin’ password been changed lately?
- 11. Check the available disk space on the server. It is a rare occurrence these days but it doesn’t hurt to check.
- 12. Set up budgets for new year if budgets are used.
- 13. Review the database backups and perform a test restore. (Disaster Recovery Drill) How many backups are stored on the server?
- 14. Make sure all timecard records and misc. material records are posted.
- 15. Set goals for improved utilization of Mainsaver in the New Year.
- 16. In system administration, review the master lists under the references pulldown menu. Deactivate obsolete records where the ‘deactivate’ feature is available.
- 17. Delete irrelevant global queries.
- 18. Set Suppliers to DEA if you no longer will purchase from them.
- 19. Identify the materials that cost the most in the current year (ytd_usage) or previous year (Last Year Usage) by performing a query such as;
- 20. Run the asset cost summary report to identify high cost assets. (Management Reports, Reports Pulldown Menu)
- 21. Use the copy command to create future year budget period calendars. (System Administration, Settings menu)
- 22. Perform monthly closing to close out last year and advance the budget periods to the current year. (System Administration, Maintenance menu)