There are many ways to keep your Mainsaver database clean and tidy. The end of the year is good time to do this.
- Check for all open work orders. Query on ‘WO Open Like Y’. Combine this query statement with a date qualifier and then use the mass close function (Work order module, Action Section) to close many work orders at once.
- Check for all open purchase orders. Query on ‘Status Not Like C’. Close purchase orders as appropriate by either receiving or using the close purchase order button. There is a Mass Close button as well.
- Check for assets not in service that really should be in service. In the Asset module run the Assets out of Service report or perform a query for Asset Status like OS.
- Make sure employee charge rates are correct and employee status codes are up to date in the Personnel module. Charge rates are used when time is posted to populate labor costs.
- In the PM module, check for PM master records where the default status of the PM work order will be set to CLO or CNX. If a PM is no longer needed, delete the master record or set the PM status to ‘DEA’. Also, if the asset is deactivated, the PM record(s) can be deleted.
- Check that all of your Mainsaver clients are on the most recent release. M20.004.002 is the latest and greatest.
- Have Mainsaver Professional Services come in for a site review, upgrade and refresher training.
- If the Mainsaver database is on a company server, review the database backups and perform a test restore. (Disaster Recovery Drill) How many backups are stored on the server?
- Make sure all timecard records and misc. material records are posted.
- In system administration clean up the dropdown list of cost center, accounts, work types, priorities by using the ‘disable’ checkbox.
- Delete irrelevant global queries in all modules.
- Run the asset cost summary report to identify high-cost assets. (Management Reports, Reports Menu)
- Use the copy command to create future year budget period calendars. Do not edit existing calendars, only create new ones for the future. This avoids getting the error message below on January 1 of a new year. (System Administration, Security and Settings Menu, Budget Periods)
- Perform monthly closing to close out last year and advance the budget periods to the current year. This will update the asset cost accumulator fields and the material counter fields for usage. (System Administration, Utilities menu)